John is the Director of the Science and Technology practice for ACIL Allen Consulting. John specialises in strategy, innovation, R&D, policy and program evaluation.
John is a scientist with over 35 years of policy and program experience. His work includes energy, climate change, R&D, innovation and industry development. John works at the interface of the public, private and research sectors and believes collaboration between all these sectors is an important driver of innovation and productivity.
Some of John’s past projects include:
- preparing strategic plans for the development of the renewable energy industry, the environment industry, the defence industry and the chemical and plastics industry
- preparing the Australian National Hydrogen Study which helped set the framework for Australia’s domestic and international activities
- evaluation of CSIRO's Science and Industry Endowment Fund (SIEF)
- evaluation of the Industry Skills Fund and the Youth Pilot programs for the Department of Education and Training. The resulting report made six recommendations including how to improve the delivery of the Fund’s objectives
- evaluation of the benefits delivered by the Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG)
- assisting the South Australian Government to prepare its ‘Green Hydrogen’ study
- assessing the impact and value of Australia's investment in CSIRO.
John has over 35 years of experience in providing analysis and advice to the public sector, businesses and international organisations. Prior to joining ACIL Allen Consulting, he held senior positions with the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism and the International Energy Agency.
John is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE) and vice chair of the ATSE Energy Forum. He has a Bachelor of Science (1st class Honours) from the University of Western Australia and a PhD from the Australian National University
- Mid term programme evaluation: Collaborative research networks
- Evaluating the Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative (VLSCI): A Benefits realisation analysis
- Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative: Five year review: Lapsing program report
- The value of CSIRO: An estimate of the impact and value of CSIRO's portfolio of activities
- Evaluation of the Science and Industry Endowment Fund (SIEF)
- Evaluation of the Australia-China Science and Research Fund
- Opportunities for Australia from hydrogen exports
- Economic impact case studies: Establishing the broad economic value of the Defence Science and Technology program
- South Australian Green Hydrogen Study
- Commercial Building Disclosure: Program Review