Fiona has 19 years' experience working in the area of regulatory reform. She specialises in retail energy consumer protections and competitive markets.
Fiona joined ACIL Allen Consulting in August 2018. Fiona started her career in the Victorian Essential Services Commission, developing the regulatory framework for the competitive retail energy market. In the subsequent years she worked in the energy industry and in consulting.
- provided strategy and policy advice on a range of energy issues including retail rules, compliance, retail competition, smart meters, consumer information needs, and support for customers in financial hardship
- set up and managed a regulatory policy and compliance function for a mid-sized energy business
- managed complex projects relating to regulatory code development, energy bill affordability and customer financial hardship
- led stakeholder engagement for a number of policy consultation processes, both for the industry regulator and within industry
- written or supervised the writing of over 100 policy papers and submissions and drafted comprehensive reports on regulatory matters
- facilitated a number of workshops on complex issues, with diverse participants and sensitivities.
Fiona has a PhD from the University of Melbourne. She has also published a well-regarded academic book on retail energy regulation in Australia, called Meta-Regulation in Practice.