Infrastructure and transport consultants
ACIL Allen Consulting’s economists provide independent analysis of transport and infrastructure options for passengers and freight across all transportation modes.
Pressures on Australia’s transport infrastructure mean that careful analysis is needed to find the best solutions possible with available resources. This requires strategic thinking, problem definition, options analysis, cost benefit analysis, economic analysis, assessment of wider economic impacts, benefits and planning implications, and identification of new funding sources. Consideration should also be given to the long term economic impacts of investments in infrastructure.
ACIL Allen Consulting’s economists provide advice to:
- private and government investors, who seek projects that address transport problems at least cost
- infrastructure managers and transport operators, who seek to meet new demands, to grow their markets, to make the best use of existing assets, and improve efficiency
- governments and regulators, who seek sustainable development while encouraging competition both within modes of transport and between modes of transport, despite the existence of natural monopolies in transport.
Industry sectors in which we have worked include:
- passenger and freight rail, including high speed rail
- maritime and marine
- freight modelling and forecasting
- passenger modelling and forecasting.
How ACIL Allen Consulting can help you
ACIL Allen Consulting combines experience in all transport modes with both broad skills in business strategy and public policy and with technical skills in economics and modelling.
Our capabilities include:
- project evaluation – economic and financial
- economic impact analysis including computable general equilibrium modelling
- risk analysis, and real options analysis of investments subject to uncertainty
- transport strategies
- privatisation, private operation of public transport and toll road concessions, public-private partnerships
- freight demand forecasting, including estimation of mode choice using logit models
- customer surveys and interviews, demand forecasting, market assessments, mode share analysis
- cost and pricing analysis, congestion charging, toll roads
- economic and financial modelling
- regulation, access and competition policy
- micro and macroeconomic impacts of transport taxes, charges, levies and subsidies
- urban form and planning
- environmental implications and other external effects
- insights from other sectors we practise in, especially energy and the environment.
ACIL Allen Consulting's transport consultancy clients are transport users, infrastructure providers, transport operators, banks, engineering companies and government agencies. ACIL Allen has been involved in many of Australia’s significant infrastructure assessments, including Infrastructure Australia’s audit of nationally significant infrastructure, economic analysis of High Speed Rail (phase 2 study) demand projections for the proposed inland freight railway between Melbourne and Brisbane, as well as projections of demand for ports in recent due diligence proceedings.
Our clients include Canberra, NT, Christchurch, Perth airports; ports of Brisbane, Newcastle and Melbourne; Shipping Australia and the Australasian Railway Association; Pacific National, Aurizon, QR National and ARTC; Toll, Veolia, Ventura, Hancock, Cement Australia, BHP Billiton, Rio, MacArthur Coal, Stanwell, AWB, CBH, CSL, Sumitomo, Qube, the Australian Logistics Council and Thiess; Citibank, RBS, NAB and ANZ investment banks; the Commonwealth Department of Infrastructure and Transport, most state transport departments and many other government departments; Infrastructure NSW, Infrastructure Australia and VCEC; economic regulators IPART, QCA, ESC and ERA; AusAID and the World Bank.
For further information about our transport consulting services, please contact Ken Willett